I catch her unpacking a couple lemons, which I interpret as symbolic expressions of the moments of trepidation I just had last night. But then out comes a petit bottle of Champagne, a reminder that the life I live is truly a charmed one. A life where any perceptions of grievance are just that.
So I do what I do best. I make the most of the situation. I forget about last night and look ahead.
I connect those lemons and champagne with a bottle of gin on the counter.
I make a French 75 cocktail.
adapted from SpeakEasy
1 1/4 oz Hendricks Gin
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
3 oz Brut Champagne
Lemon wheel garnish
1. Don’t make excuses that you don’t have simple syrup. Put a 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl, microwave for 30 seconds, stir and Voila! Put it in the freezer to chill with an ice cube while you grab your other ingredients.
2. Add the gin, and squeeze the fresh lemon juice into the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Now get out your simple syrup and add as well
3. Fill the shaker with ice and shake until super cold.
4. Grab a large goblet, and pour in 3 oz of Champagne
5. Strain the mixture from the cocktail shaker into the goblet with the Champagne
6. Float a lemon wheel on top. Enjoy
The French 75 is a cocktail I’ve heard on a lot of people’s tongues lately. It definitely must be a go-to when people stumble into unfamiliar territory.
The name actually refers to a quick firing weapon largely regarded as the first modern artillery piece. It looks like a canon on carriage wheels.
I guess it’s something I’d get behind as well if I got dropped into a place of questionable respectability.
This drink is bright, crisp, effervescent. One that makes it easy to rest on your laurels.
I just mixed one with gin and another with cognac. The gin got the vote of confidence…especially since it was Hendrick’s and had more harmony due to the floral notes. *Hendrick’s is infused with rose petals in the distillery
Make two today. One for you and one for Confidence.
Because with her by your side, it’s going to be a great day…a great weekend…and an exciting month ahead.